Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Observation 1/3/08 - 1/4/08

Place: Cow Pasture at the end of Fruitville road
Temperature: 40 degrees or so
Time: 11 - 1
Weather: Slightly cloudy. Very cloudy at first, then it cleared up, clouds returned at the end
Stars: Sirius, Beetlejuice, Rigel
Constellations: Orion

We went specifically for a meteor shower. I saw 8 meteors. Two were bright - one was shorter and towards the west (I generally focused my sight around Mars and Orion, but this appeared out of the corner of my eye toward the Sarasota lights - a stray meteor?) and one was massive, originating in the Quadrens (spelling?) and shooting across the entire night sky (90 degrees?). Most were very small, not even as bright as a 1st or 2nd magnitude star. Length was shorter than the first digit of my thumb for some. I saw at least one other stray meteor near Orion, moving from east to west rather than North to South.

No comments: